Sunday is officially the first day of fall, and for some, that means football season. If football isn't your thing that's 100% totally cool, we feel you. However, you don't have to miss out on all the sports-affiliated snacks just because you're not interested in watching dudes bash into each other. The best way to blend in among a throng of excited sports fans is to chow down on spicy chicken wings like you know what you're doing and drink lots of beer.
This genius recipe from @cookesinthekitchen is fast, easy and the best part is, you don't have to fry the wings! These wings are baked in the oven, but just as tender and delicious as any order of wings you’ve ever had at a restaurant. TOUCH DOWN!
RECIPE MVP: Baby Clydesdale Carrot Habanero Ginger
GAME PLAN: The end goal of this recipe is a spicy wing that is tossed in a spicy sauce. Baking the wings with a rub slathered on them allows the meat to gain flavor during the cooking process, making every single bite “ohhhhh” worthy. And since we are adding a spicy sauce to our wings, we went with a rub that added a little bit of sweetness from our friend brown sugar.
Once you have the rub slathered all over your wings, you’ll want to place them neatly into a baking dish that is greased with some coconut oil. This keeps the wings from sticking to the bottom.
END ZONE: Place your dish of wings in a pre-heated oven (400°F) for 45 minutes, turning the wings over halfway through the baking process. Once you’ve cooked the wings for 45 minutes, remove the baking dish from the oven and pour that spicy sauce right on top! Just toss the wings around, keeping some hot sauce on the side for those who want that extra punch.
We also served the dish with a side salad of kale slaw, along with a homemade sesame ginger dressing. Other side dishes we would recommend are traditional Cole slaw or some fresh corn on the cob. Now get to work and enjoy the football game and the rewards from your kitchen.
Ingredients (makes about 20 wings):
- Chicken Wings: 2lbs of Chicken (Party) Wings (Drums & Wings)
- Rub: 3 tbsp of brown sugar, 1.5 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- Sauce: Baby Clydesdale Carrot Habanero Ginger
- Combine the rub ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Rub the mixture onto the wings, and place the wings into a shallow baking dish that is greased with 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 400°F (have the oven pre-heated to this temp), and flip the wings halfway through the cooking time.
- Once finished, remove the baking dish from the oven and pour the hot sauce right onto the wings as they sizzle in the baking dish. Toss the wings and plate, adding cilantro as a garnish.