Here at Cookes in the Kitchen (@cookesinthekitchen), we menu plan and execute new and old dishes every week. Many a time, we use cookbook recipes for inspiration. This dish was adapted from a recipe for Pad Grapow Chicken we found in Chrissy Teigen’s cookbook Cravings.
This meal is simple to make and is a great summer dish. It's light, tasty and the perfect outlet for all that seasonal basil that you're not quite sure what to do with.
STAR OF THE SHOW: Baby Clydesdale Lemongrass BBQ & Sriracha
The prep for this meal is a no brainer. First step is to get that chicken soaking in a pool of sauces. We used Baby C Lemongrass BBQ, some fish sauce and soy sauce.
While the chicken is soaking, make your spicy garlic paste by simply adding more garlic to some Baby Clydesdale Sriracha. This is the perfect opportunity to use that mortal & pestle that's been sitting on your counter forever.
ACQUIRE FRESH BASIL!!!!!!! I SAID FRESH!!!!! One more time for the back section: FRESH!!!!!!!!!! Extra points if you buy it from a local farmer.
Cook the chicken with your fresh ingredients & serve! Pair your basil chicken with some white or brown rice & you've got yourself a super easy, delicious, and dare we say sophisticated meal!
Ingredients (two servings):
- Chicken Breasts: one (1) pound of chicken breasts; one (1) tbsp low-sodium soy sauce; one (1) tbsp fish sauce; two (2) tbsp Baby Clydesdale Lemongrass BBQ
- Garlic Paste: five (5) garlic cloves; one (1) tbsp. Baby Clydesdale Sriracha
- Basil: three (3) cups FRESH basil; seriously, make sure the basil is fresh and not from that jar in the back of your cupboard
- For Serving: one (1) cup uncooked Jasmine rice
- Marinating the chicken breasts: Cube the chicken breasts and place in a bowl with ingredients for 15-30 minutes.
- Paste: Using a mortal & pestle, mash the garlic cloves along with the Baby Clydesdale Sriracha until a paste is formed.
- Cooking the chicken breasts: In a large pan, heat one (1) tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat, then add the paste, stirring for one minute. Add the marinated chicken cubes and stir occasionally until fully cooked (8-10 minutes). Add the basil, stirring until it is wilted. Don’t forget to continually smell as you are cooking, as that is the best part of this dish!
- Serving: Drop that basil chicken on some jasmine rice and enjoy the beauty of simple flavors!! Also, feel free to also dress the dish with some additional Baby Clydesdale Sriracha. Enjoy!!