Splurging on avocado toast may not keep us (@Cookesinthekitchen) from eventually retiring (as some have claimed), but it is definitely an Achilles heel of ours. When you sit down and calculate how much a slab of avocado toast costs to make it's hard not to imagine a restaurant manager's eyes flashing with dollar signs. In addition to being the most 2018 menu item ever, avocado toast is probably the single greatest profit margin menu item in the history of the world.
If you're sick of paying out the wazoo for a simple midday treat, or you're just sick of getting teased for being a Millennial, it's time to learn how to make your own avocado toast at home. And why not kill two birds with one stone? We're also gonna teach you how to make the perfect soft boiled egg.
STAR OF THE SHOW: Baby Clydesdale Spicy Vegan Pesto
Your simple ingredient list includes avocado, bread, eggs, and sauce. However, you can make a much more artistic and sophisticated effort and presentation if you choose a certain quality of ingredients.
For the bread, it’s best to go with an uncut loaf that was freshly baked within the past day. This allows you to cut the bread to your preferred thickness. As for the type of bread, just have fun and explore! Try Pumpernickel. Or Rye. Or Rosemary. We went with the Seedy Wheat Bread from Honeymoon Homestead found at the Little Italy Mercato Farmers’ Market.
Once you've obtained your ingredients, it's go time. You're only a smear, boil, and slice away from your perfect avo toast.
Next step is egg. The key to soft boiling an egg is to avoid overcooking it. Just remember to cook for 5 min and cool for 1.
Ok, here comes your moment to shine. Let's make this avocado toast look gorgeous!
Practice makes perfect, people. You won’t Instagram it the first time, and maybe not the tenth time, but you’ll enjoy each attempt because your ingredients are picked with sophistication, and eventually you WILL post it, and all your friends and exes will begin texting you with platitudes. Stay with it!
Ah, the finishing touches…
Finishing salt? Yep! Red chili flakes? Sure. Hemp seeds? Why not? Once you have this down, the possibilities are only restricted by what’s in your cupboards.
The last step is to look into 401k options, because you're one step closer to retirement now that you've got your homemade avocado toast skills on lockdown!
Ingredients (one serving):
- Toast: one (1) slice of a bread loaf, preferably fresh-baked and from your local farmers’ market
- Egg: one (1) egg
- Avocado: half of an avocado
- Smear: Baby Clydesdale Spicy Vegan Pesto
- Prepare your avocado: Slice avocado in half (lengthwise), and remove the pit. Place avocado cut side down and carefully peel the skin off with your fingers, starting at the small end. Slice into sections of your preferred thickness.
- Toast your slice of bread: toast your fresh bread in the oven until it’s nice and… well, toasty; smear with a generous helping of Baby Clydesdale Spicy Vegan Pesto, then delicately add the avocado
- Soft boiled egg: Bring a small pot of water to a boil while also filling a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower egg into boiling water and cook for exactly 5 mins. Transfer egg to ice water to cool for 1 min. Carefully peel your egg, cut in half (mostly for Instagram #yolkporn opportunity), and top on your toast.
- Garnish: add finishing salt, hemp seeds, red chili flakes or some of Baby Clydesdale Sriracha to bring your toast to a whole new level.